Saturday, February 7, 2009

The party's over, kids!

Thanks to everyone for your well-wishes regarding my recent bout of "under the weather"-ness! Today I am feeling much better ☺

After a week of cleaning, shopping, and then cooking, my party almost came to a grinding halt. I received a call at 1:30 on Super Bowl Sunday telling me that my nephews had to play in a basketball tournament. I couldn't believe they were having grade school basketball games DURING the SuperBowl! That is just crazy-talk.

Happily, they were all able to stop by before having to leave town for the games. In total, there were 14 adults and 9 kids here. For food, I made cream cheese pinwheels, meat/cheese tray, veggies, cheese dip, cheese soup, lots of chips, and sandwich fixings. Plus, I made a big batch of homemade carmel corn, and my mom brought cupcakes. I was really glad that we didn't have a ton of leftovers...I HATE eating leftovers.


☺☺☺
Since this was a "Velveeta Game Day"House Party, I decided to make a big pot of cheese soup. I got this recipe from a co-worker a long time ago, and it tastes much like the famous secret-recipe soup from Quincy's "Kelly's Pub."

Cheese Soup with California Veggies and Penne Pasta

6 cups water
6 chicken bouillion cubes
2 1/2 cups diced potatoes
1 cup diced celery
1/2 onion, chopped
2 cans cream of chicken soup
1 bag California blend veggies
1 can sliced mushrooms
4 oz. penne pasta, cooked
2 lb. block of Velveeta

In a large soup pot, combine water, bouillion cubes, potatoes, celery, and onion. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer for about 30 minutes. Add the California blend veggies and cook until tender. Then, add the cream of chicken soup, mushrooms, cooked pasta, and cubed Velveeta. Cook and stir until Velveeta is completely melted. Season to taste, and serve!

2 comments:

mamahasspoken said...

Questions, do you drain the water before adding all the second batch of ingredients? How are the left overs of this soup?

SquishyCuteStuff said...

No, don't drain the water. This recipe makes a pretty big batch, but it is easily halfed. The leftovers are pretty good USUALLY...but I ended up leaving it in the crockpot too long, and all of the veggies started falling apart and was kind of a lumpy mess!