Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Poppet to me!

I first heard about, and joined, Craftster about a year or so ago. It is an amazing site chock-full to the max with awesome crafty bits of this'n'that related to sewing, knitting/crocheting, and needlework. My intentions are always good, but I just haven't taken the time to sit down and really get involved. I do watch the Craftster blog in my sidebar, and their blog title caught my attention a couple of days ago: Featured Craftalong: The Poppet-along!

What the heck is a Poppet?? Is it some kind of puppet? Since I LOVE puppets and thought it might be some sort of tutorial aiming in that direction, I had to check it out.

Well, apparently this is a Poppet:


(photo borrowed from Craftster.org, posted by the creator of the pattern, "ghilie")


...but so are these:







(photos borrowed from Craftster.org, posted there by the masters behind the sewing machines!)

Poppets tend to look human, but they do have animal-like ears and tails. They sort of remind me of those little people off of "The Littles" cartoon I watched as a kid. Depending on the person making them, and the bounds of their imagination, a Poppet could really turn into anything!

This is a great opportunity for any of us (me included!) who haven't tried making a jointed-doll to give it a go. It really is no wonder that this thread has been active on Craftster since November of 2007!! Check out The Poppet-Along Thread for information how to get the pattern emailed to you ☺

This is one craft that, for once, I am going to make for me to keep. It might be slow-going, but I will document my progress here in the blog. If anyone of my blog-friends decide to join in, too, let me know!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those are unique looking creatures!