Friday, July 18, 2008

Giant Green Goodness...Mmmm

I would dare to say that my favorite food in the world is zucchini. I have very fond memories of a skillet casserole my grandma used to make for me that centered around this plump, green squash. Lately, I have been using the first small zuke's to make a shred for my favorite summer lunch, zucchini pancakes. They are also called fritters, if you make them smaller. Regardless, they compromise a tasty, filling lunch... with plenty of ketchup for dipping :-) The girls love them, also, which is a VERY good thing.



Zucchini Pancakes


(recipe makes about 4 4-inch pancakes, enough for a very filling lunch for 1-2).

Shred up 1 cup of zucchini. For a little extra savory flavor, shred a few tablespoons of onion in, as well. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt (or to taste), and let sit for a few moments so that the zucchini starts to give up some of its liquid.



Next, add 2 1/2 tablespoons baking mix, 1 egg, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, and pepper (to taste). Mix into a nice batter. For a little extra crunch, you can add a little corn meal to the batter, as well.









Heat a nonstick skillet and spray with Pam. Spoon the batter into mounds (as big as you like), and flatten them out so that they will cook evenly. At this point, I like to sprinkle the top with cornmeal because I like that extra body and crunch. Cook for several minutes, and when they start to puff up a little and the bottom is browned, flip and finish cooking.






Delicious! Make them smaller, and they are a good side dish, as well.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

hey that food looks good you can send me a post at cksfabulous

Katie Kutthroat said...

omg that looks awesome!

58 Cherries said...

Hi, here via your comment on my blog. I make the same thing as little fritters sometimes. I planted some zucchini in my garden and so far only one little baby one, but if I get more I'm definitely making some fritters again. They were a big hit in my house, too.

bunzi said...

looks good...