Monday, July 21, 2008

Found Treasures

I am super excited to post about some of the golden treasures I found this weekend while rummaging through other people's belongs via a yard sale and an auction. I normally don't ever do auctions because they are much too long/hot/things go too high. BUT... my mom wanted to bid on some furniture, so I went with her. Unfortunately, a 500-ish lb. man decided to perch on the sofa she wanted for the duration of the 5 hour auction in an un-air-conditioned room... so it was probably a blessing that it sold for more than we thought it was worth. Yuck-O! Regardless, I found a sweet little brass grasshopper that I was able to make mine, for the low-low price of $2.50! First time I ever bid at an auction, and I was so nervous!!

I found a yard sale that was being put on by some retired antique dealers from Pennsylvania. They had a little wooden box FULL of antique postcards, and though I usually don't look through this sort of thing, but the top one had a peculiar-looking gnome on it. Lately, gnomes have kind of been my thing. I had to have it, and searched through looking for other fabulous finds. SO... I bought about 14 postcards between a trip Friday and then a trip back on Saturday. They literally had over 100, and all of the postmarks were from around 1909-1914. She wanted $1 for them, but offered me a deal since I am just so unhumanly cute (or something). Anyway, I got all 14 for like $8. I am not sure what to do with them, but they are just lovely and so detailed! I might frame them.

This little guy reminds me of a Jennifer Murphy creation! The background is a pretty brushed-gold, which isn't really seen in the scan. Postmarked 1910.

This one is quite pretty, with the gold accents. And the 4-leaf clovers are so green with very detailed leaves. This one is postmarked 1909.

I think this one is so sweet! I guess rabbits playing trumpets are responsible for the world's egg-hatching.

My absolute favorite! I suppose the only the in the world that can interrupt a reading-gnome is a rabbit bearing gifts :-)

♥♥♥

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I just love that picture of the rabit and the gnome. What a find!